Bedford Borough Council said it will be providing vouchers to families with children eligible for income related free school meals.
Funded through the Household Support Fund, the council will provide households £25 per eligible child or young person in Bedford Borough for half term.
On top of the £15 supermarket voucher, this half term a one off £10 will also be provided to help off-set any extra spend utility bills and other household expenses.
Cllr Michael Headley, portfolio holder for finance and welfare, said:
“It is vitally important to us all that no child goes hungry in Bedford Borough, so I am pleased to announce that funding will once again be provided support thousands of Bedford Borough children. We know what a difference this can make.
“Many families have been hit hard by the pandemic and on top of that the recent energy price rise will only add more pressure. Hopefully this support will mean children and young people in the Borough can enjoy nutritious food, rather than families worrying about where their child’s next meal is coming from.”
Children are eligible for the vouchers if their family receives one of the benefits listed below:
- Universal Credit – with an annual earned income of no more than £7,400 after tax
- Income Support
- Income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance
- Income-related Employment and Support Allowance
- Support under Part 6 of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- The guaranteed element of Pension Credit
- Working Tax Credit run-on (paid for the four weeks after you stop qualifying for Working Tax Credit)
- Child Tax Credit (with no Working Tax Credit) with an annual gross income of no more than £16,190
Families with eligible children in school will receive their vouchers as they have previously via the email or their school distribution process.
Children eligible for Early Years Pupil Premium and 2 year old funding will have an allocation that they can collect from their child’s setting.
The Council and Bedford Borough schools are encouraging more families to register and apply for free school meals, so that they begin to receive the support they need.
To find out if you are eligible and to register for free school meals visit Bedford Free School Meals.