Council’s programme of online classes for budding musicians
A new round of virtual music classes will start on Saturday (16 January 2021). These are to ensure children can continue to develop their musical skills while the country faces lockdown restrictions.
Central Bedfordshire Council’s Inspiring Music service started their virtual music sessions last year, when lockdown restrictions were introduced to help tackle the spread of Coronavirus and sessions could no longer go ahead in person.
Charlotte Payne, director of music for Inspiring Music said:
“We ran our online Saturday sessions last term, and they proved to be a popular way of making music and allowing students to socialise virtually.
“We’re pleased to be able to bring back the online classes this term, and with new lockdown restrictions in place we hope the classes will give children in Central Bedfordshire something positive to look forward to each week.”
Two brand new classes have been added to the programme: ukulele and recorder sessions for complete beginners.
The full programme for this term is:
- Musical Superstars – for beginner students, helping them to progress by learning to read music and playing pieces of music together
- Sinfonia – for string instrument players who have achieved Grade 3 and above
- Musical Explorers – an interactive session for children with special and educational needs
- Wind Band – for those learning wind, brass and percussion instruments for players at Grade 2 – 6
- Inspiring Recorder Stars – for complete beginners, taking you through the basics of playing your recorder
- Inspiring Ukulele Magic – for beginners to learn how to strum, pick and sing their way to ensemble happiness
Each online class aims to help students develop listening, sight-reading, rhythms awareness and take personal responsibility for their learning amongst other skills.
Ten sessions will run over the Spring Term, costing £20. As well as access to 10 lessons, pupils will have access to sheet music, a tutor to lead each session, and technical and musical support.
To sign your child up for a class, and to find out more about each class, please complete this form.