Make your garden more hedgehog friendly
Hedgehog Awareness Week is organised by the British Hedgehog Preservation Society (BHPS). This year it runs from 3 until 9 May 2020 and as part of the Awareness Week, the BHPS is asking people to take the time to think about how they might help hedgehogs.
Due to the COVID-19 restrictions we are probably all spending more time than usual in our own gardens and green spaces. The BHPS says that this is an ideal time to make those areas better for the dwindling population of hedgehogs. Adding that this is also a chance to do something positive, safe at home. BHPS chief executive, Fay Vass, said:
“Our gardens take up such a lot of habitat, and by getting together with neighbours to ensure hedgehogs have access points and hedgehog friendly features in the garden, we can open up a really useful amount of habitat for them.
“It would be amazing to make Bedfordshire more hedgehog friendly and you can help by becoming a Hedgehog Champion for your area at Hedgehog Street – a project run by BHPS and our partners People’s Trust for Endangered Species.
“Join 70,000 Champions by signing up at www.hedgehogstreet.org – there’s even a Hedgehog Street app you can download from The App Store or Google Play!”
BHPS has five tips to help families to help the hedgehogs in their area:
- Make CD case sized holes at the bottom of fences or walls is the first step – make sure hedgehogs have access – create a ‘Hedgehog Highway’!
- Create a log pile, this will provide both shelter and food for hedgehogs
- Offer meaty cat or dog food in the garden at night for hedgehogs to enjoy – you can even create a simple feeding station to prevent it being stolen by neighbourhood cats! See www.britishhedgehogs.org.uk for details
- Offer shallow bowls of water in the garden – literally a lifesaver in hot dry conditions
- Build a Hedgehog Home for them to nest in and use as a nursery – plans available on the website
During #hedgehogweek BHPS will be holding competitions every day on its Facebook and Twitter pages as well as sharing top tips on making your resident hedgehogs happy. You can download the Hedgehog Street app here.