Spoil your loved one with HMRC’s Valentine’s Day cash boost Photo by Philip Veater on Unsplash

Married couples and civil partners are encouraged to claim the Marriage Allowance for Valentine’s Day

HM Revenue and Customs (HMRC) is proposing to married couples and those in civil partnerships to sign up to a £250 tax break this Valentine’s Day.

It says that more than 1.78 million couples have already committed to the Marriage Allowance boost. However, it is estimated more than 2 million are missing out on up to £250 this year.

If their claim is backdated, they could even receive up to £1,150. This is the last chance for eligible couples to backdate their claim for the 2015 to 2016 tax year as the deadline for doing so is 5 April 2020.

Angela MacDonald, HMRC’s Director General for Customer Services, said:

“Applying for Marriage Allowance is a quick and easy way for married couples and people in a civil partnership to have £250 or more put back in their pockets.

“It’s fantastic to see so many couples have already put a few minutes aside to apply, and we hope many more will sign up this Valentine’s Day to take advantage of this tax relief.”

Marriage Allowance lets people with income of £12,500 or less, transfer up to £1,250 of their Personal Allowance to their husband, wife or civil partner – if their income is higher. This reduces their tax by up to £250 for the 2020 to 2021 tax year.

Claims can also be backdated four years to April 2015. After 5 April 2020, couples will only be able to claim back to the 2016 to 2017 year.

You can apply direct

Customers are urged to cut out the middle man and receive a guaranteed 100% of their eligible entitlement, if they apply directly through HMRC. Customers in England, Wales and Northern Ireland can benefit from Marriage Allowance if all the following apply:

  • You’re married or in a civil partnership
  • You do not pay income tax or your income is below your Personal Allowance (usually £12,500)
  • Your partner pays Income Tax at the basic rate between £12,501 and £50,000

Marriage Allowance claims do not need to be submitted every year because they are automatically renewed. However, couples should notify HMRC if their circumstances change.

Couples can find out more information and apply for Marriage Allowance on GOV.UK.