Gas Safety Week 2018
Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service is supporting Gas Safety Week (17-23 September). The Week aims to encourage all gas consumers to make sure they have their gas appliances checked annually by a Gas Safe registered engineer.
This is to protect themselves against the dangers of unsafe gas appliances, such as fires, leaks, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
People should have their appliances checked each year to be assured they are working safely and efficiently. People should also Trust the Triangle and check that their engineer is Gas Safe registered. Anyone working on gas appliances while not being registered is working illegally.
Gas Safe Register chief executive, Jonathan Samuel, said:
“It’s great to have the support of Bedfordshire Fire and Rescue Service this Gas Safety Week.
“Carbon monoxide poisoning is known as the silent killer because you can’t see it, taste it or smell it. Our research shows that lots of people aren’t aware of the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning or the potential warning signs that your gas appliance isn’t working safely.
“This Gas Safety Week we’re helping people find out more about how to keep their homes gas safe and reminding everyone to not cut corners when it comes to getting their gas appliances checked on an annual basis.”
“One in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe”
Stay Gas Safe at home this Gas Safety Week by following these top tips:
- Only use a Gas Safe registered engineer
- Double check both sides of your engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card to know that they’re registered and qualified to work on your gas appliances
- Have all gas appliances safety checked every year
- Familiarise yourself with the six signs of carbon monoxide poisoning; headaches, dizziness, breathlessness, nausea, collapse and loss of consciousness
- Check appliances for warning signs that they are not working properly. Such as black marks or stains on or around the appliance, lazy yellow flames instead of crisp blue ones and condensation around the room
- Fit an audible carbon monoxide alarm for a second line of defence against carbon monoxide poisoning
“We know from our own investigations data that one in six gas appliances in the UK are unsafe meaning far too many people are victims of preventable gas related incidents.”
For more information you can also visit Beds Fire’s website.